Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas musings

I have a hard time with Christmas because it's less than two weeks then to the anniversary of Daniel's death.

Since he died, the holidays have been a count down of sorts to the anniversary, although that has eased over the years. The holiday specials on television like A Christmas Carol are frequently too much for me to bear, so I turn them off or find a good mystery I can get lost in.

That does not mean, however, that I give up on the people who continue to live and love. This year Derek, my chosen son, is in from Colorado and we will meet him and his girlfriend for brunch today before they return home, and I can hardly wait. We are having Christmas Eve with our old grandsons David and Jonathan, and we'll spend Christmas Day with Shannon, Derek's sister. We'll be with our new grandkids, Alexa and Grayson, the following weekend, and with Bill, who is like a son - and Carter, his son - the next day. I focus myself in each moment, and I survive, as I have for the last 15 years, soon to be 16.

This year is a different challenge because my therapist, the woman who was going to take me to Florence and buy me a pair of leather slacks if I lost 100 pounds (a safe bet, hah!) also died - in early summer. I haven't replaced her because I have learned that people cannot be replaced: they are not interchangeable parts in the machinery of life. And I haven't found a new therapist yet because I haven't really looked for one.

I didn't intend for this entry to be such a downer. I am truly thankful for all our family - related and not - and our friends, and the people we know who provide a giant pillow of love, which is, as I think about it, the essence of Christmas. I'll get through it, land softly and savor the moments. It will be a good Christmas after all.

We all have problems, and each person's is the worst because it's his/hers. But we get through them because of the love of others.

4 comments:

Jim C-D said...

I love you Bill. Merry Christmas to you and Ann.

Elizabeth Thorpe said...

Miss you both. Sorry I've been out of touch for so long.
love, Beth

Anonymous said...

We love you too, Pops. xoxoxo

Md Mahbubu Hasan said...

With that in mind, we have created a simple 3-step ordering process that quickly puts you on the path to getting a professionally-written, 100% custom paper that meets your assignment’s exact specifications.So, click here BestCustomEssay.org