Saturday, March 29, 2008

Broken Ankle Update

This is the last, I hope, update. Organ recitals get tiresome I know.

Here goes: The bad news is my insurance company fired my physical therapists for purely economic reasons. Evidently my share of my insurance payments (I pay almost $15k to Cigna annually) isn’t enough to allow me to get medical attention when I need it. Strike that, I get medical attention, but then I have to fight for months to get payment to my medical providers.

The good news is that my physical therapists have been terrific, not only the first Doug, but the second provider (the first one got fired by Cigna after two weeks, and although Cigna disputes that, they gave me a list of five PT's in a 30 mile radius I was permitted touse. Don't you love that the insurance company's bottom line determines health care rather than medical necessity?), Dr. Douglas Conroy in Flossmoor, whom I saw for the following two weeks, is also terrific. In addition, I have been working hard at home to regain mobility in my ankle and strengthen it so I can walk properly. Both Dougs recommended that. Thanks to them both.

I am hardly using my cane – only at the end of the day when I’m tired, or for long stretches across vacant spaces where there is nothing else to support me. And I hope to stick the cane back in the basement where with any luck I’ll never need it again.

I went to the opera, the last performance of my season ticket, a couple of weeks ago. I can drive – although I’d rather have someone else drive most of the time, and always did. Ann and I are going to a wedding reception tonight, where I might attempt a slow dance, and going to Beloit College tomorrow to see Grandson David.

Many people have been exceptionally kind. Priscilla, our grandsons' mom, walked the dogs yesterday for a good hour, and they really needed it. Many, many thanks!

Lynn R., from our church, walked the dogs while I was still stove up, and she also took me to lunch a couple of times. Many, many thanks to her also.

And Connie from the Dog Park has promised to watch the dogs if I take them over since I fear walking on the very uneven paths in the park. I don’t mind falling, but I don’t want to be maimed again. Thanks to Connie in advance.

My first goal is to take the dogs to the dunes at least once before the crowds descend, and my second to go steppin’ at Flavor Restaurant in Flossmoor one Thursday or Friday live Jazz night.

Thanks to everyone who has been concerned about me, who has extended myriad kindnesses, who has thought about me (Cynthia T, for example), who has helped out in a variety of ways.

No comments: