Monday, March 3, 2008

Brief Update

I got my cast off on Friday. My leg twitched like a science experiment on chickens when the tech guy used the vibrating saw on it. He cut the cotton stockinette off and exposed the leg, covered with - dry skin.

I went home, ran a bath in the soaking tub and climbed in. I lay there about an hour and a half, periodically adding hot water, and reading. It was glorious, especially after having help to get into the shower twice a week for the past month and a half. When I got out my skin was just as scaly and flaky. I have been slathering various kinds of skin cream on the foot and leg regularly. It hasn’t helped. Three days later the bottom of my foot still looks as if I dipped it in wax and haven't gotten around to peeling it off.

Today I can walk – with crutches. Tuesday [tomorrow] I start physical therapy and hope to discard the crutches soon. By next Friday I hope to be able to drive, and by next month to bound up steps two at a time. As it is I still hobble up them one by one.

In the meantime, I’m still pretty much stuck at home because Ann is out and about and I don’t have the energy to be upright long enough to join her.

Be all that as it may, I have discovered I have the most wonderful friends in the world. Ann waited on me hand and foot and put up with my impatience. Tim and Jonathan stopped by to keep me company and helped me in the shower -without even snickering, although Jonathan spent more time flying around the house on my crutches and declaring they weren't so bad. Grandson David drove me around when I needed it. David across the street also carted me around whenever I needed help.

Lynn walked our dogs and took me to lunch a couple of times. Shannon, of course, and Ray, who helped bath me - again without snickering - and Shannon just dropped by unannounced to walk the dogs. Ray and Sherri who walked dogs. Bill who came over with Carter and did a couple odd jobs, kept me company and Carter helped Ann with dinner.

Theresa who stopped by with a wheel chair and conversation. Rochelle and Peggy who made sure I was comfortable and stopped by just to chat and check on me. They also brought great meals from Flavor Restaurant. The Rev. Orr, who stopped by several times with the Eucharist and great conversation. Sue, Audrey, Kristy and Jack who stopped by with cards, gossip, and more conversation.

All the people in the watercolor class, especially Carol the instructor, and Jerry who sits next to me, who worked to make me comfortable and do whatever they could for me. Sandi and Sandie who brought pizza one night. Cindy and Peter who brought a whole dinner - including great vegetables - another night.

Derek who pushed me around in the wheel chair at a birthday party. Mary Agnes who stopped by for conversation and also took me to the doctor to get my cast off. Connie from the dog park who called on a regular basis, and Beth, Gary and Maryanne, Val, and Jim C-D who kept up through email. Karen stopped by and kept up through email. I'm sure I forgot someone, and I don't mean to. Again, what wonderful friends I have. I thank you and wish blessings on you all!

As always I welcome your comments. Click below.

No comments: