Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is Thursday, and it is a time to reflect on what we are thankful for - besides too much to eat and too many football games on television and too many dishes to wash.

I have a lot to be thankful for, beginning with family: My wife of 41 years, Ann. My son Daniel who died almost 16 years ago, but is still with us in our hearts. It is amazing to me that he has been gone almost as long as he lived. His girlfriend Sandra, who continues to be in our lives, and her Mark, who puts up with us gracefully.

My chosen family, including grandsons David and Jonathan, and their dad Tim, who gave them to us after Daniel died. Their mother Priscilla who agreed to that arrangement, still honors it, and has done her best to raise them well. Tim’s new wife Karen, who happens to be a former student - who’d a thunk it?- and her kids, our new grandchildren Alexa and Grayson.

Of course, Derek and Shannon who chose me their dad. I tease that I’m their old dad and their new dad. And Bill and his son Carter, who are like son and grandson. And chosen sister Laurie, my sister the doctor, who received her Ph.D. from Stanford earlier this year. Go Laurie! And my cousin Rochelle, whom we love dearly, and her family. And my other cousin Margaret.

And our close friends, especially Theresa and Mark. Our wonderful neighbors, especially the “G” neighbors: Gertzes, Godfreys, Graces, Gordons.

Our church friends, and school friends, those I taught with as well as those I went to school with. And my writing friends.

My dog park friends, many of whom I know by their dogs: Monte’s mom, or April’s mom. But I know many by their own names: Beth, Kathy, Fred, Connie, Pat, Gail.

My opera friends Marianne and Gary. Certainly our travel buddies Ted and Carol. And . . . Well, the list goes on.

I am especially grateful this year for Barack Obama, who as a graceful politician earned the presidency and is now leading the country, W having taken a grateful back seat apparently. With time I can see President-elect Obama becoming a statesman as well a politician and leader.

What a joy to have the “Irish Mafia” back in the White House: the O’Bamas and the O’Bidens. That, of course, is a joke, but Obama’s great, great grandfather (or something like that) was from Ireland, and he does have Irish “blood” on days other than March 17.

I am thankful that we are able to continue to live a comfortable life, despite the current economic mess. And that I can say and publish whatever I want on my various blogs. I do try to keep them from being too nonsensical or too much of a rant.

Thursday we are going to our friend Theresa’s for dinner. Theresa doesn’t have a sports gene either, so there won’t be television blaring out football games (I know, how un-American!), and we’ll be able to talk, and play board games or dominoes, to settle the world’s problems after we eat.

That alone is plenty to be thankful for.

Don’t forget to join us for the Free Hugs Campaign either in your own town or in Chicago, something else to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving.

As always, feel free to click comment below and leave your thoughts.

3 comments:

Billy Barule said...

Carter and I are extremely thankful that Ann and you are a part of our lives as well, Bill!

Much love,
~b

Anonymous said...

I will speak for D also when I say that we are very thankful that you were willing and able to step in and fill the void left by someone who is otherwise a good person, but just not prepared to be a good dad. you have been (and continue to be) a blessing to us both, and we adore you.

much love.

xoxox
shan

Julie Muller said...

Dear Bill,

I loved what you wrote. I got a kick out of your complaint of parts of "Porgy and Bess" being written in the subjunctive. I also loved the beautiful photograph of your beautiful Daniel. My thoughts are with you and Ann at this time. A blessed Christmas to you both. I'm looking forward to sharing some more special times with you two this new year.

Love always,
Julie