Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Agent of Change

I sent the out blog below Congratulations America! as an email before I decided to post it.

I received a lot of responses, which seems interesting to me because the counter shows that people check out my blog on a pretty regular basis, but they hardly ever leave comments - it's probably too cumbersome a process to write a comment.

I am printing (without permission, forgive me) some of the comments I received.

Darlene, a friend from Goddard College wrote, "Jubilate! Thank you for this moving account, Bill. How wonderful that you were there to take it in. I thought McCain's speech was beautiful as well--generous, sensitive, responsible--he seemed freed from the shackles of his handlers and hate-mongers."

Our late son's girlfriend, a wonderful, beautiful, kind young woman wrote, "Ah... thanks for sharing Bill! I got teary reading this while on a call with a lady trying to set a dr's appointment. I don't think they noticed. I'm very excited about our future!!! "

My daughter, also wonderful, kind and beautiful, wrote, "Yes indeed. It didn't hit me until I was on my way to work this morning, and it occurred to me that for the first time in very many years, I am proud of 'us.'"

Elana (also wonderful, kind and beautiful) said, "What you've written is really beautiful, thanks for including me." Thanks, Elana, for the kind thought!

Bill said, (and the Supreme Court is deciding on his language - at least broadcast - as I write this), "What a night!! I haven't been this proud to be an American in a long fucking time . . ." I, of course, quite agree.

One of my jazz singer friends wrote me: "Hi Bill: Thank you for that wonderful story (Rochelle forwarded it to me). What a subtle but huge example of what we pray America (and the world) can become. You brightened my day and tuned up my focus. I believe God is doing a new thing in the hearts and minds of people...and I am ready." I have already added her email to my address book.

She refers to this response from my cousin Rochelle (who, as I think about it, is a warm chocolate brown): "This is from my 'cousin' - Bill Moser. Most of you know him. He happens to be an author. I wanted to share this beautiful story with the special people in my life. He happens to be white, and I always tell people when I introduce him and his wife as my 'third cousin on my mother's side' that 'it's a long story.' Bill and Ann have done much to improve if not change the way I feel about other races. Here's his story. I hope you enjoy it."

Rochelle's comment was the one that touched me most deeply. She labels us as agents of change, a role I never considered for myself. A long time ago, when I was in high school in a racially divided city, I decided that I could not, can not teach or live hate. (As a man who is flawed, I stumble. Damn!)

Since I made that decision I have learned that I am who I am by a total accident of birth, that I could have been born -or not - anywhere in the world, into any circumstances, and who I am is a gift.

I have also learned from the example of a lot of people like Marilyn and Chuck in Joliet who were our late son's god-parents; from Tim who gave us his boys to be grandparents to; from former student Tim who lived with us for seven years rather than choose between his separated parents; from Liz who ran the residential boys' camp in Wisconsin where I worked for a couple of summers; from Cyndie at our current church; and from Rochelle. All these people - and many more - taught me that God is Love by living that truth.

Rochelle issues an implicit challenge to me to continue to be that agent of change. I pray that I can live up to her expectations and that role.

Feel free to comment below, despite how cumbersome it is.

No comments: