Monday, May 12, 2008

Vache d'Or - part 7

This is the penultimate section of Vache d'Or, Begin it about seven blogs down. And feel free to comment. Enjoy!

“Who else have you been fucking, asshole? This is Toni.”

“It can’t be mine, Toni. And your language. We never slept together.”

“Like hell. Don’t hand me that shit, Frank. It’s yours. You’re the only man I’ve had sex with in the last six weeks, since you became a fucking encore virgin with Charlene.”

“We always used a rubber, Babe. Remember?”

“Yeah, and Ben likes to make pinholes in them. I thought you knew.”

Frank gulped. He forgot to check the condoms he took to Matt’s. “What about Jason? You spent a lot of time getting stoned with him. What else did you do?”

“Nothing. He was always too stoned. That’s why I know it’s yours.”

“If Ben poked the holes in the rubbers it’s technically his.”

Toni snorted. “All it takes is a paternity test later to take care of it.” She was silent for a few moments. “Or some cash now.”

“Let me think,” Frank said. He sat silent. With all the drugs Toni did, a baby would probably be fucked up. It would be a kindness to terminate it. “How much?”

Toni told him. “You have to come with me. And make up for my days off. Including tips.”

Frank agreed. He made a second phone call, then he called CeeCee in the B & B. “Listen, honey. You’re the only one I ever loved. Can’t we talk about this?” He held the phone out from his ear. When she was finished, he said, “I love you. I want to make this work. I’m weak. I’m sorry.”

He listened some more. “Well, I at least have to drive you home. I have the car.” He nodded. Smiled. “You know we need each other.” He had a plan.

The first two hours in the car on the way home were almost silent. About every fifteen minutes Frank said, “I love you.” CeeCee stared out the passenger window. Every time he reached over to pat her leg or feel her up, she batted his hand away.

“You’re going to have a stiff neck if you keep staring out the window, honey.”

“I’m not your honey.” CeeCee spoke without moving her lips.

She would have made a good ventriloquist, but this wasn’t the time to mention that, Frank thought. He wasn’t about to let CeeCee have the keys and leave him at a rest stop or gas station either. He put an easy listening disk in the CD player, and as they got closer to Cleveland, CeeCee relaxed. A little. She faced forward.

“You missed the turn.”

“No. I have a surprise for you. We’re still on our honeymoon.” Frank pulled into a downtown luxury hotel. He handed the keys and some folded bills to the valet. He took CeeCee’s arm. “You deserve a better honeymoon than a tacky room with a heart shaped bathtub in the Poconos. I bet we don’t get scalded here.” He kissed her and led her to check in.

Frank sighed with relief and CeeCee gasped when a private butler opened the door to the Honeymoon Suite and welcomed them. He poured champagne and handed each of them a glass.

“I never . . . .” CeeCee’s chin quivered and she hugged Frank tightly. “Look.” She was practically breathless. Rose petals covered the bed, and a tray of chocolate truffles sat on the table.

“I’ve taken the liberty of arranging massages for you this afternoon if that’s all right.” The butler smiled. “I thought a late lunch first?”

“Lunch is good. And the massages later, after we’ve rested.” CeeCee looked at Frank, who nodded. “It’s been a long drive and I’m a little tired.” She looked at Frank again, then held out her glass for more champagne.

Frank sighed mentally. He’d pulled it off. He winked at the butler. “What did you have in mind for lunch?”

No comments: