Thursday, March 24, 2011

Foundation 153

I am a member of the local elementary school foundation, which raises money to fund special events in the schools.  Teachers apply and the Foundation153 provides grants.  It’s pretty simple - except we have to raise money to fund the grants we make.
We raise money with three major events each year: 
     *a 5K “Fund Run,” 
     *“Pastapalooza,” a spaghetti dinner followed by a concert from the various choirs in the district, 
     *"Spring for Homewood Schools,” an upscale dinner and silent auction.  
Minor fund raisers include selling popcorn at the local Christmas tree lighting, and selling water and milk at the Homewood ‘"ChocolateFest.”  The smaller events bring in only a couple hundred bucks each, but they help.
We are also the recipient of donations from local organizations, like the Rotary Club.
Last year we granted thousands of dollars to various projects that teachers proposed, and very few projects were denied.
As a member of the Board, I am obligated to do my share of fund raising and to work at events.  This spring I have been asking people for items for the silent auction.  I hate asking for money.  I have a hard time doing it, especially in this economy, but I have been somewhat successful.
One local business explained that business is seasonal and they just cannot make a donation.  I respect that and will continue to patronize that company.  A local liquor store doesn’t donate to groups that deal with children because  the owner believes it sets a bad example for kids.  I absolutely respect that decision.  He is generous in many other ways.
I get really irritated, however, with people who give me a vague answer about donating, and essentially blow me off.  

A local ethnic restaurant, for example, suddenly stopped understanding English when I asked for a donation.  The hostess mumbled something like, “Manager not here.”  I asked her to pass the information along, but they haven’t bothered to reply.  

A local financial company sent the information to “Corporate.”  They never bothered to reply.
But I find that local mom and pop businesses are the most generous.  Here is a list of people who have donated very generously.  I hope you patronize them if you can.
Prairie Tire in Chicago Heights.  The owner and his wife do not live in the elementary school district, and the business is not in the district, but they were very generous.
Sun Center Garden and Gifts in Glenwood.  Again, they have no connection with Homewood Schools, but were very generous.
St. James Health and Wellness Institute, Chicago Heights.  Not connected with Homewood School, but generous.
Leon’s Floor Covering in Glenwood.  Another Mom and Pop business with no ties to Homewood Schools, but generous just the same.
Chiropractic Care Center on 187th in Homewood.  A very generous gift that anyone can use.
Great Clips in Homewood.  A very generous gift.
This is my public thank you to the folks who were generous and who support Homewood Schools.  I hope my readers patronize these businesses, a couple of which are struggling. 


You too can donate or attend the Spring for Homewood Schools April 9, at Ravisloe Country Club.  Click on the event for information!
As always feel free to comment below.

1 comment:

Carl G said...

Best of luck with the fundraiser. Poet. Isn't it a joy to see people pulling together in these hard times ...