Saturday, May 23, 2009

Instant Wealth

I got a semi-interesting email this morning,which I'm posting below.  I suspect the Nigerians have gotten such a reputation that they no longer are able to bilk cash from unsuspecting old folks and the fake bankers in Hong Kong have taken over.  

I'm not following up, of course, by involving myself with Mr. Cheng.  And I've deleted his email address although if you really want it, I'll send it to you.  I half think that if thousands of replies arrived in response to his email, he might crash.  But he'd probably just get more names to scam.

I did hear a story on NPR about a guy who went to Nigeria and managed to turn the con around and hoisted the scam artists on their own petard, so to speak.  It was something like, "I'm here and I have an American cashier's check but I got put in jail and I need you to wire me bail money so I can get out of here and give it to you."  They paid.  That makes me laugh.

Anyway, here's the nefarious email: 

From Mr.Vincent Ch---
Email: xoxoxoxx

Good Day
I am Mr. Vincent Ch--- Hoi Chuen, GBS, JP Chairman of the Hong Kong and 
Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.

Our Client, Gen Zaiki Taha Ab---, a businessman and also who was with the 
Iraqi forces, made a fixed deposit, of Twenty Four million Five Hundred Thousand
United State Dollars only in my branch, a number of notices was sent to him,
before the war which began in 2003 and also after the war but, no response 
came from him. We later found out that the General along with his wife and only
daughter had been killed during the war in a bomb blast that hit their home.

After more inquiry it was also discovered that the late Gen. did not declare 
any next of kin in his official papers including the paper work of his bank 
deposit.  What bothers me most is according to the laws of my country at the expiration of 6 years the funds will be revert to the ownership of the Hong Kong Government if nobody comes for the funds, Against this scenery, I have all the information needed to claim these funds and I want you to act as the beneficiary of the deposit, there is no risk involved in this matter, as we are going to adopt a
legitimate method and the attorney will prepare all the necessary documents.

All I require is your honest co-operation and I guarantee that this will be
executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach 
of the law. Please accept my apologies, keep my confidence and disregard this 
email if you do not appreciate this proposition I have offered you.

All confirmable documents to back up the claims will be made available to you
prior to your acceptance and as soon as I receive your return mail Via my 
email address: xxxxxxxx and I will let you know what is required of
you.

Your earliest response to this letter will be appreciated.

As always, click comment below to add your two cents' worth.

No comments: