Saturday, August 2, 2008

A Toast not a Roast

Today is the big day: Tim, our grandsons' dad, is getting married to Karen, one of my former students. That sounds surprising, but it isn't. Some of my former students are in their middle to late fifties at this point. Karen, of course is not. She is considerably younger than my early students. And just for the record, she is younger than my middle students.

This week has been a whirlwind of pre-wedding events: Tim's two sisters are staying with us and we welcomed them at about 3 a.m. the other day because of plane delays. A pizza party followed by the bachelor party. The rehearsal. A shower for the ladies. The rehearsal dinner. And today is the wedding. Preceded by photos and followed by the reception. Tomorrow is the post-wedding brunch at the bride's parents' house.


I am the Best Man. Go figure. My duties today include not passing out during the nuptial mass, not crying too hard, and offering a toast. Here's the preview:

As the best man, I have the privilege of proposing the first toast.

I want to say a couple of words about Karen before I talk about Tim. She is one of my former students – as is her sister Susie - and I am happy to say Karen did not receive the only B of her high school career in my English class.

Karen is a lovely person on every level I can think of. In addition to being beautiful, she is kind, gracious, graceful - and I know that Tim adores her.

Now to Tim. When I met Tim I thought he was a very tall man. This was shortly after our son died, and he helped us through a very difficult time. He gave us his two sons David and Jonathan, whom we adore, to be grandparents to. For that magnificent gift, that new connection to life and family, we shall be always grateful.

As I said, I thought Tim was very tall. He told me that as I got to know him better, I’d find out he was not semi-divine, and he would start shrinking – at least in my perception. That happened. I discovered Tim is human. Sometime totally human. Never as human as I am. And he is shorter than I originally thought he was.

Today, however, Tim stands taller than I have ever known him.

Both Tim and Karen know how much I love them.

Let us raise our glasses: To Tim and Karen. Our love and best wishes for great happiness!

Please feel free to comment below.

No comments: